IBS 78 - LUKE 3:8

Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I say to you that God is able to raise up children to Abraham from these stones. 
Luke 3:8


Here John the Baptist is talking to the multitudes and calling for repentance. I have heard this verse many a time. And always just said yes and amen because it’s a “good verse”. Yet as I have gone through the book of Luke it just hit hard. So many times I think I’ve repented of sin yet my heart remains that same. My sin does not disgust me. I say “okay, better not do that again. But oh man, wasn’t it fun. Didn’t please God, but what fond memories.” That view of my sin is not repentance. I am not seeing my sin as something which separates me from communion with my Father. I just see it as a fun pass-time I probably should be involved in anymore. True repentance bears fruit not only in my life but in my heart and mind. I should be disgusted by my sin and truly despise it. Knowing that the wages of sin is death. My sin was so heavy that it weighed up my Jesus on the cross. He was beaten, scorned for my sin. So my thoughts also should not be “But Lord, I do this or I’ve done that. Or God look at all I’ve done helping here and there and all the gold stars I’ve won.” They mean nothing. As much as God can raise up children to Abraham from stones so He can raise up someone else to do what I do. I cannot find my security in those things. But I must draw near with a heart that is truly repented and find my refuge in my Lord. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IBS 59 - PSALM 25:4-5

IBS 39 - MATTHEW 18:15

IBS 71 - PROVERBS 2:4-5