IBS 24 - EPHESIANS 6:1, COLOSSIANS 3:20

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
Colossians 3:20 

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
Ephesians 6:1 

Obeying parents. My parents are the most influential people in my life. You have to understand. My parents are my best friends. I grew up like that. Now when I say that I don’t mean they didn’t discipline me, and we’re all buddy buddy. My parents most definitely disciplined me, up until the day I left home. But they never lacked the understanding of my humanness. My parents both come from very extreme sides of the parenting scale, and when they came together I would say they did a pretty good job. Now it wasn’t always easy. If I do say so myself I was very rebellious. As much as there was a soaking to be involved, there was to be a word or encouragement and a reminder of love after. My das always made sure to get explain to me what I did, why it was wrong, and that I needed to understand why it wasn’t allowed. My dad isn’t walking with the Lord. That I no way has affected my respect or trust in him. My mom is walking with the Lord and it’s one of the most beautiful things to see. Before I came to Christ I was very crazy and wild and my parents did a lot of different things to correct all my rebellious ways. I am so very very thankful that they loved me enough to do that. After I got saved my life started radically changing. And I thought it was going really well. But in the last 5 months before coming to Ignite God really started to show me all the little compromises I has made in my obedience to my parents. They said be home at 11 I’d be parking my car at 11:10. They said save 30% of your savings id save 20%. And all the while I seemed to think everything was fine. It was for sure a refining process. I didn’t see this as disobedience. It’s only 10 minutes, it’s only 10%. But I didn’t realize how hypocritical I was being. God really did some major heart surgery on me. I was humbled. God showed me my heart and for the first I saw the real person looking back at me in that mirror. I saw the disobedience and rebellion and the pride. But I also saw the grace and humility and love of God that covered all of it. I saw that in my disobedience and dishonoring my parents I was disobeying and dishonoring God. And on the other side I saw the way that when I did honor and obey them I was pleasing Him. I was to obey and honor them and God not because I had to but because I get to. God restored a lot. I was able to make the choice if spending time with my family and enjoying the season of staying and resting with them. I am thankful that God showed me my rebellion even though I thought I was doing great. And I am so extremely thankful for the parents He gave me that love me and encourage me to be all in and surrendered to Him. I am blessed to be able to honor and please God by making the choice of obedience. 


Application- tomorrow during my call home I will share with my parents what God has been doing and thank them for the way they encourage me in my walk with the Lord. Olivia will keep me accountable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IBS 59 - PSALM 25:4-5

IBS 39 - MATTHEW 18:15

IBS 78 - LUKE 3:8